The History Of Driffield Golf Club
Driffield Golf Club was founded in 1923, initially being sited on the east side of the town at Meadow Road. A move to the current site on the Sunderlandwick estate took place in 1934. The estate was owned by the late Sir Thomas Ferens and provided for an 18 hole, parkland course. During the Second World War the club gave up 9 holes for agriculture in support of the war effort. There after it remained as a 9 hole course until the early 1980’s when an extension programme was under taken to return the course to it’s present 18 holes which was officially opened on the 2nd of September 1990 by the President of the Yorkshire Union of Golf Clubs.
The Clubhouse formerly a wooden structure was replaced in 1980 by a brick building costing £30,000. The view at the time being that this building would serve the need of the membership and visitors for many years to come. This proved to be an incorrect assumption due to the return to an 18 hole course creating an increase in membership and related golfing activity, larger premises were required. In 2001 the clubhouse underwent major extensions and refurbishment costing £300,000. The fruits of this investment were officially opened in 2002, by Howard Clark the Ryder Cup Star and TV Commentator.
Positioned just South of the rapidly growing town, Driffield Golf Club has a membership similar to that of many private member golf clubs. The EGGS, Ladies, Rabbits, Junior and DREGS sections are all popular, vibrant and well organised.
Social events held outside of the golfing season are also well supported providing the opportunity to have a bit of fun and maybe even a few drinks even when the weather is not at its best.
The golf course itself is set in a beautiful parkland estate with many native trees, ponds and the trout stream. Water Hazards impact on holes seven to eleven, fifteen and sixteen. The feature hole is the par 5 eleventh, with its three ponds and assorted streams running across and along the fairway which, unless accuracy is to the fore, impact at varying stages of the 487 yard hole before you reach the narrow, heavily protected green.
Driffield Golf Club has a very large practice area, with parking alongside the A614 and adjoining the course complete with two covered bays. There is also a further practice area, with pitching green, nets and putting green close to the clubhouse. Another putting green is located next to the first tee.